Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GR-1 Bluetooth

Just wondering, would it not be simple enough to add bluetooth midi in/out to the GR-1 given it can't be hosted on a Type A USB cable like most modern synth modules?

Couldn't find any references to this in the forum and can't figure out why, since the Raspberry Pi 3B natively supports it.

Is there something obvious I'm overlooking here?

Comments

• A bluetooth pc keyboard works out of the box with a usb dongle.. Maybe a Bluetooth MIDI controller would work in a similar fashion?

But it cannot use the Pi's native bluetooth. The main reason is that BT (and wifi) can't penetrate its aluminium shell.
  • "But it cannot use the Pi's native bluetooth. The main reason is that BT (and wifi) can't penetrate its aluminium shell."

This is more what I was aiming at... damn! This is more mod territory, but I wonder if a cable going to a small surface mounted external antenna would get you a few meters.
  • Well, if you are considering hacking open that anodized aluminium casing (*cries inside*) please consider than an USB bluetooth dongle will most likely do the same.. and also, there are more tech reasons why this cannot be done. The Pi is very limited UART-wise.. and the only proper UART it has is used for MIDI (and would otherwise be used by Bluetooth).
  • Don't worry, I won't hack your beautiful case ;) Although being a second hand owner not covered by warranty... I guess the idea of mods isn't totally out of the question haha.