Yes it is done! Firmware 2.2! We see it as the ultimate firmware. It has many new features: tape mode, reverse grains, truly proper multitimbral MIDI.. and it has been tested to destruction and back again. https://www.tastychips.nl/gr-1-downloads/
GR-1 Firmware 2.2.0
- By popular demand: Reverse grains! Use Shift + Scan to bias the forward/backward direction.
- Tape mode! Scratching using the main slider, play direction reversal, and extreme slow down at your fingertips. Scan knob now controls tape play speed. Pitch knob control the tape's reaction to speed to abrupt changes (like slider movement). This also respects sample loops and scan loops!
- Multitimbral settings now stored in performance (which parts are enabled, which part is highlighted, and which presets are assigned to them.). This means you can recall the multitimbral configuration from last time!
- Grain spawn mode. Decide what is the best way to start a new cloud: gradually generate it ("gradual"), instantly compute all grains ("direct"), or even do this when spawning all at the initial position ("directreset"). The latter yields a boost in volume and bass. You can also "recycle" old/dead grains. That's to weird things up.
- Key from MIDI "Keyboard tuning" now visible in manual/knob tuning display.
- Chain the midi channel of all 4 parts using shift + slider / select knob.
- Finally the delay and reverb effects linger on after a voice's release has ended.
- MIDI CC's for all new matrix cells: AMP, PAN SPRAY columns, and the Pitch row
- Cubic curve for matrix data entry in the patch menu. This activates based on the existing patch menu toggle (Cubic LFO amount curve)
- MIDI CC's for changing MIDI channel per part.
- Proper smooth delay effect. No more crackles when changing delay length.
- In main screen: shows part number, along with the preset name.
- Slider base (in patch menu) note can now also be set by midi keyboard.
- Sample and patch naming now turn lower case text into upper case when turning the Select knob.
- Structural change! Parts now have their own MIDI channel! This used to be per-patch, but that was way more cumbersome.
- Program changes now multitimbral, according to the midi channel -> part mapping.
- Control changes now multitimbral, according to the midi channel -> part mapping.
- Patch menu -> Sample mode now sets permanent mode (granular, audition or tape), and shift+play temporarily overrides this.
- Master volume knob now goes down to 0, with improved curve.
- Patch volume knob now can do up to 10. (to let a single part dominate the mix) and all the way down to 0.
- Removed USB disk sync toggle (it was pretty dangerous, anyway)
- Cleaner looking matrix.
- Note-based controls in the patch menu now have to be explicitly selected before they're sensitive to MIDI notes. This was done to avoid playing notes changing patch settings when scrolling through the menu.
- Anti-aliasing toggle CC moved to NRPN range, in favor of having fwdrev bias control at CC 37.
- 60 fps display all the way!
- Exit from Play Scale octave widget using Escape key instead of scrolling out of it.
- Program changes now handled properly.
- Crash on usage of unimplemented CC's.
- Blue overlay freaked out with scan loops.
- Cubic mod amount toggle reset itself to off sometimes..
- Sonic interruption when entering patch menu..
- Broken clock sync midi CC's.
- Quicksave to USB froze when unplugging USB (ok, why do that? but still..) now there's a friendly popup notification and the GR-1 marches on.
- Patch quicksave suffered from amnesia. Now it always remembers if it was already saved before, even after changing preset.
- MIDI clock only accepted by part 1
- NRPN statemachine was borked. arbitrary order of NRPN is now supported, although it will lead to duplicate handling of data.
- NRPN state now properly remembers channel, otherwise part mixups would occur!
- CC67 (tune) had wrong range.
- First header in patch menu no longer selectable, yet it can still scroll all the way to the top to show it.
- LFO2 delay sync was broken.
- Preset names in multitimbral mode don't always update after performance load.
- clicks in distortion fx (similar to snare instrument pick up noise) when multiple voices triggering/releasing..