Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

more ECR-1 Q

howdie

i've cut all the samples on the supplied SD card, is there somewhere a backup ?
-still, there are some IR ('pre-loaded') that are not mine, like "falklands_tennis, or hamilton_mausoleum" - where do they reside?

i've noticed 1 file with 4 waveforms "Middle_Tunnel", does that mean the the ECR-1 accepts multiwaveform files ?
and, consequently, i can XFade between those 4 waveforms?

what is the red c symbol in the display when i send i signal in ?

how to know when the signal [in or out] is (close to) distorting ?

i've loaded all kinds of files onto the SD card, all play (very!) well, even 32(bit) float !!
great, inspiring, easy to use gear !!

Comments

• can it be that (very) long file names are not fully displayed?
  • can the IR that you last had working, be loaded on startup?
    (or do i have to write down/take a pic ?)
  • Hi!

The Falklands Tennis Court and Middle Tunnel responses reside on internal storage. They cannot be changed. See the manual: https://www.tastychips.nl/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/quickstart.pdf

We'll make a download/upload area for the ECR-1, just like with the GR-1.. So all the original responses can be downloaded from there.

Yes, the ECR supports multichannel Wav's (and good to hear it eats everything you throw at it). Indeed the ECR internally is 32 bit floating point. It's a requirement for high quality convolution.

Xfading is done between two responses (background and foreground), not between channels.

We're taking into consideration your request for rebooting with the last used response.. Upgrade is done with a replacement CM3 (the DIMM module on the back of the ECR). We're thinking of doing one or two big and well-tested upgrades in the life time of the ECR .. in contrast to updates every 2 months by USB/Internet, like on the GR-1.

• Hi!

The Falklands Tennis Court and Middle Tunnel responses reside on internal storage. They cannot be changed. See the manual: https://www.tastychips.nl/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/quickstart.pdf

We'll make a download/upload area for the ECR-1, just like with the GR-1.. So all the original responses can be downloaded from there.

Yes, the ECR supports multichannel Wav's (and good to hear it eats everything you throw at it). Indeed the ECR internally is 32 bit floating point. It's a requirement for high quality convolution.

Xfading is done between two responses (background and foreground), not between channels.

We're taking into consideration your request for rebooting with the last used response.. Upgrade is done with a replacement CM3 (the DIMM module on the back of the ECR). We're thinking of doing one or two big and well-tested upgrades in the life time of the ECR .. in contrast to updates every 2 months by USB/Internet, like on the GR-1.

• Maybe i'm missing something but what benefit is there to support multichannel wave's since the input and outputs are stereo? and the crossfading goes between different responses, not within the same file. Or is it just a byproduct so you can use existing multichannel files without having to convert?
  • @awamorikaiju:

The idea of multichannel files in stereo is that Left input can influence Right output, and Right input can influence Left output. Just like in a real room or hall where two microphones are placed. This gives a more natural impression then just straight L->L and R->R.

Crossfading is done between two spaces not internal channels in the wav.

It's all about simulating the impression of spaces.
  • Thanks, I get that portion of it and how it's necessary for a stereo file. Sorry should have clarified, multichannel files with more than the two channels for L&R.

For middle tunnel, where there are 4 channels what happens with channels 3 and 4?

Could I load an Ambisonic B format (WXYZ channel polywave) and would it be supported natively without decoding to another format first?
  • Ah, damn.. Now I understand why there are these questions.. Failed to upload the latest manual to the page! This describes the nature of true-stereo reverbs. Note: true-stereo means a matrix, so 2x2 = 4 channels in total. See the section "Understanding the display" in the latest manual: https://www.tastychips.nl/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/quickstart.pdf.
    We're talking L->R convolution for chan 3, and R->L for chan 4.

Ambisonics and such formats use heavily encoded spatial information. You can use them in the ECR, but the position will probably feel "off".
  • Ok gotcha, I hadn't realized the distinction with a True Stereo 4 channel file vs a stereo 2 channel impulse file.

Thanks for the new manual as well. Now to dive in and do some more research..

I'm presuming that you create a True Stereo impulse in the field by recording two separate stereo instances with the sound source at either the left position or the right and then vice versa, and assemble the two stereo impulses into 4 channels after the fact.

Interested to see if there is a way to decode Ambisonic B WXYZ into a True stereo impulse as well.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of definitive information out there. Apple's page for their Impulse Response Utility (no longer standalone and apparently packaged in Logic) seems to have some of the most in depth info in one place but I've just started looking this over.

https://help.apple.com/impulseresponseutility/mac/1.0.3/en/impulseresponseutility/usermanual/index.html

thanks again for clarifying